This chocolate orange cake is light, moist and easy enough to get the kids to make. Use it for school lunches or when you or your kids have friends over.
Original recipe from Kate at Keeping it Real. I love working with Kate because she makes gluten, grain and dairy-free baking REALLY easy. This is so important if you want to get your kids in the kitchen making healthy food for themselves. Enjoy the recipe and let me know how like it.
Chocolate Orange Cake
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa or raw cacao
1/4 cup honey or brown rice malt syrup
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Optional: 1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a cake tin with baking paper, a 19cm round cake tin works well.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder and ginger if using.
- In another bowl combine the honey, eggs, coconut oil and orange juice.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean — it’s a good idea to keep a close eye on the cake while baking to avoid burning, I’m speaking from experience!
- Leave the cake to cool and sprinkle with dessicated coconut to decorate.