When we support our body on a daily basis with gentle detox practices we are encouraging the removal of toxins and allowing for cellular renewal. I’m a really big fan of having a daily detox routine, I believe it’s possible to support our body with tasty, nourishing real food along with targeted lifestyle and supplement additions that encourage detoxification in the body. This is a gentle and sustainable way to support our health, unfortunately no matter how good we are with our diet and avoidance of exposure to chemicals, in today’s modern world we all need to lend our body an extra hand.
Drink Warm Lemon Water
Overnight while you are sleeping your body is at work cleansing, so waking up and drinking a glass of warm lemon water first thing in the morning helps to alkalise your body and supports the liver in flushing out toxins.
The antioxidant D-Limonene which is present in lemon is more concentrated in the peel, so for a supercharged liver detox drink try squeezing the juice of one lemon into 1 litre of water and then chop up the whole lemon and leave it to sit overnight, make sure to use organic or spray free lemons.
What to do
When I am organised enough I will make up a jug of lemon water, peel and all, to drink the next day. However most mornings I do the following;
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a glass
- Add 1/4 glass of hot boiled water from the jug
- Add in 1/2 tsp of organic ginger powder (Optional: to aid digestion)
- Fill the rest of the glass with filtered water and stir
It’s also a good habit to get the kids into, get them used to having a glass of lemon water before breakfast.
Dry Skin Brush Every Morning
Your skin is the largest organ in your body and it plays an important role in detoxification. By dry brushing the skin not only are you improving circulation but you are removing dead skin cells and toxins via the lymph nodes—the lymphatic system collects metabolic waste in the body to be eliminated. This is a vital detoxification process that needs to be supported, and dry skin brushing can do just that. It also provides the added bonus of exfoliating your skin and making it softer, many people also claim that it helps to reduce cellulite.
What to do
- Buy a natural-bristled body brush with a removable long handle
- Aim to dry brush every morning before your shower
- Starting at your feet use firm upward strokes, always brushing in the direction of your heart as this is best for circulation.
- This video gives you an excellent demonstration on how to do it correctly, although it is the longer version.
- This video here gives you a shorter version to try. I wouldn’t get caught up in trying to do it perfectly, watch both videos to learn more about the technique and do what works for you. My own version is somewhat in between the two
Take an Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom Salts are made up of two naturally occurring minerals—magnesium and sulphate— that are involved in many key processes in the body. This powerful mineral base also pulls harmful toxins out of the body while replenishing your mineral levels.
Magnesium plays a vital role in over 300 enzymes in the body and a deficiency may manifest as muscle aches, migraines, anxiety, fatigue, dizziness, high blood pressure, heart issues and loss of calcium just to name a few symptoms. Magnesium is one mineral you want to pay attention to and ensure that you are getting enough.
Regular Epsom salt baths will increase your magnesium levels, relieve muscle aches, remove toxins, reduce anxiety and leave you feeling relaxed and balanced.
What to do
- Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salts to a running bath and you can gradually increase this amount to 1-2 cups. Because Epsom salts are a natural detoxifier it is better to start slowly.
- Add a few drops of Lavender essential oil for relaxation.
- Soak for at least 20 minutes
- Drink plenty of fluids after your bath to rehydrate
- It is a good idea to aim to do this at least 3 times a week.
- Enjoy these baths, they are amazing and it is time you are taking out for yourself
Add Chlorella to Your Diet
Chlorella is a whole-food based supplement that has the ability to naturally bind to harmful toxins and heavy metals and carry them out of our body via the digestive track. Not only that, Chlorella is a micro algae that is rich in chlorophyll, which is cleansing, purifying and promotes the growth and repair of tissues. Everyone can benefit from taking Chlorella.
I have a mouthful of amalgam fillings from childhood which continually leach mercury and Chlorella helps to take the burden off my immune system by binding to the mercury and carrying it out of my body. Out of all of the supplements that I have tried over the years (and there have been a lot!) Chlorella would be favourite and one that I won’t go without.
What to do
- Look for a Chlorella supplement that says Broken Cell Wall Chlorella, as this is the most powerful form of Chlorella for detoxification.
- Start slowly and increase the amount you are taking gradually.
Support your body every day by encouraging gentle detoxification that leads to optimal health.